…but it tastes delicious.
- 4 rashers of bacon, chopped
- 1 onion thickly diced
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 heaped tsp ground cumin
- 500 g (1 lb) minced/ground beef
- 450 g (1 lb) tin chopped tomatoes
- thickly diced vegetables, I used 1 large zucchini and 2 small capsicum
- 1-2 cups of cooked beans e.g. kidney, cannelloni, borlotti
- 1 cup of alcohol – beer or tequila is best but I used red wine this time which worked well, if I use beer I add the whole can/375 mL bottle
Saute the bacon, then add the onion and continue sauteing until the onion is translucent. Add the spices and cook, stirring until they become aromatic. Turn flame to high, add beef and cook stirring until beef is browned. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for as long as you have time but at least 30 minutes or until excess water has bubbled off. If it becomes too dry, add some water.
Serve with rice, salsa, grated cheese and yoghurt. Oh and don’t forget a dollop of tomato chilli pickle if you happen to have some.
This stuff doesn’t photograph well but it tastes divine.